Decision Education Foundation
A foundation promoting the development of good decision skills by today's youth.
3 Major Goals:
- Simplify site maintenance
- Improve the presentation of the foundation using images and videos
- Provide visitors with easy access to both digital and non-digital educational resources
Upgrading to Plone 3
- Link and reference integrity checks ensure the administrator is aware of any content that needs to be changed when there are links to an item that is deleted;
- Automatic page locking and unlocking ensures content being edited is not accidentally overwritten by another user;
- Workflow capabilities allow site members to act on content based on their particular role in the site as well as the status of the content (private or published);
- Easy reproducibility enables users to test add-on products and new code without jeopardizing the production site through the use of buildout.
Leveraging Existing Add-Ons
- EasySlideshow (a.k.a. collective.easyslideshow), a product originally created by Six Feet Up, was further customized to give visitors a view into the world of the Decision Education Foundation through images and quotations;
- Plone4Artists Video (a.k.a. p4a.video) was modified to allow video not only on the homepage but as a downloadable resource as well;
- Plone Help Center was leveraged to give site administrators one place to go for help in maintaining the site.
- Electronic materials such as booklets, videos, lesson plans and courses can be downloaded directly from the site via the custom Resource content type;
- Third-party services allow visitors to purchase non-digital items, such as mousepads, bracelets, and hats;
- Resources are automatically syndicated on the Educator Resources landing page and the category folders within, allowing them to be easily found by visitors yet easily maintained by site administrators;
- Tracking demographic data when a resource is downloaded or purchased allows Decision Education Foundation to best serve their visitors by providing them with more relevant content.