June 16 - 17
9am-5pm (1 hour lunch break)
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
This two-day training takes place the two days preceding Plone Symposium Midwest. This training is separate from the conference: please register for the training here. Note that you do not have to attend the Plone Symposium event to come to this training.
The price includes:
- Plone Theming Training
- Up to 1 hour of email coaching per person after the training
- Six Feet Up Quickref Cards
For an additional $42, you can purchase the catered food option provided by UWOSH. This includes a continental breakfast, lunch, and snacks for both days of the training.
This training session includes front-end template development of a Plone site from start to finish using Diazo. The training will be a hands-on walk-through of the process, using a pre-created sample design. Attendees will need their computers and will be expected to follow along on their own Plone instances. Training will cover Plone 4 and Plone 5.
Below is a basic outline of what content will be covered. This may change based on attendee's experiences and requests.
Day 1: Basic
Goal: become familiar with a Plone theme and learn how to edit the appropriate files for customizing a Plone site.
- Theming with Diazo - writing rules to hook up Plone to a static theme
- ZMI overview, Generic Setup
- Changing site styles, CSS Registry
- Overriding Plone templates
- Using the plone.app.theming editor
Day 2: Advanced
Goal: Learn advanced theming techniques that will allow your site to use Plone templates and dynamic content to their full potential.
This day will focus more on traditional theming methods and techniques for power users.
- TAL (template attribute language for Zope page templates)
- Creating view templates
- Advanced Diazo rules, XSLT
- Theming child sites with Lineage
- Responsive Design
This training is ideal for:
- Web designers
- Plone developers wanting to expand their knowledge
- Anyone who would like to learn how to build a theme or customize templates for a Plone site
Preferred Pre-requisite knowledge:
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS
- Basic familiarity of Plone
Please direct specific questions about this training to the instructor, Chrissy Wainwright.
About the Instructor:
Six Feet Up's Senior Template Developer Chrissy Wainwright joined the company in January 2008. She has implemented Plone themes for dozens of sites, including uvahealth.com, and sfari.org, and huck.psu.edu. In addition to being a Plone Core contributor, she also did a bit of development on the KARL project.
Chrissy graduated from Western Illinois University in 2004 with a degree in Instructional Technology and Telecommunications, and has worked with websites ever since. Chrissy has given this training and various theming talks at Plone Symposium East and the Plone Conference in past years.
Early bird special: $250 until May 1
After May 1 the training will be $300.