Faceted search provides site visitors with a quick and intuitive way to narrow down their search results in real time.
Six Feet Up has rolled out several faceted search navigation systems for a variety of clients:
University of Notre Dame
The online faculty directory of the College of Engineering at the University of Notre Dame makes it easy for web visitors to quickly look up faculty members, students, staff members and alumni:
- The site adapts features smart search results by presenting default search results and options that are based on where you are at in the site architecture
- An A-Z navigation allows users to quickly jump to a list of profiles based on members' last names.
- A faceted navigation lets visitors refine the data by narrowing down in real time the results based on "Staff Category", "Area of Expertise" and "Affiliation".
Steel Grip Inc.
Steel Grip's online product catalog features a sophisticated faceted navigation system that encourages web visitors to browse through categories by easily narrowing down or expanding search results in real time without having to go back to a previous page.
University of Virginia
The University of Virginia Health System website provides visitors with several fast and intuitive search and browsing mechanisms to find medical information and doctors:
- "Find a Doctor" allows visitors to narrow down the list of doctors by one or more Specialty, Languages Spoken and/or Gender using a faceted navigation system.
- Thanks to a Google Maps integration, finding locations is greatly simplified. When used in conjunction with the "Quick Search" and the A-Z navigation, visitors can shorten the list of clinics to the left of the map by searching for a service provided, street name, location title and more.
- "Search Conditions & Treatments" allows visitors to jump to a condition or treatment based on the first letter using an A-Z search.
The United Nations
The International Waters Learning Exchange and Resource Network (IW:LEARN), a UNEP project, promotes collaboration between their geographically distributed team members through a KARL-based intranet that fosters content discovery:
- The intranet facilitates access to their expert roster through a faceted staff directory. Users can narrow down the results based on last names using the A-Z navigation, and then further refine data by filtering by expertise/skill, regions and availability.
Want to know more?
Are you interested in having a discussion about adding faceted search features to your site and improving access to your online content?