Are you looking for Google-like search features that enhance web visitors' usability? The most popular tools we use to customize search results are:
- In-context search term highlighting
- Stemming (extends a search to cover grammatical variations on a word)
- Stopwords (such as "the", "and", "maybe", etc.)
- Automatic completion of search terms
- Spelling suggestions
- Synonym suggestions
- Keyword boosting/weighting
- Context restrictions (confines the search to a specific area of the site)
Six Feet Up has a lot of practice in tailoring our clients' online search experience. Some of the additional search customizations we have performed include:
- Altering search mechanisms to influence the calculation of search relevancy and bring back specific content.
- Tweaking the online search machinery to focus on specific data fields.
- Customizing the search engine of a large pharmaceutical group's website aimed at healthcare professionals to give visitors quick answers to their questions, and abide by regulatory rules.
- Making custom search features available to subsets of web visitors based on both content workflow states and user's role.
- Customizing the number of search results allowed to return depending on the user's permissions.
- Changing the search results' order based on relevance, content type, title and last modified date.
- Ensuring that a specific content type is always returned first in the search results list.
- Enabling administrators to control which metadata is deemed more relevant for search result order.
- Deploying advanced search interface to give site visitors the ability to filter down their results.
- Providing a limited set of filters for specific user types.
- Allowing users to perform full-text searches of files, such as PDFs and Microsoft Office documents.
Want to know more?
Do you have a project that includes custom search requirements? Do you want to know how we could help out?